I decided I wanted to show (restricted) data views on the web in table form. Specifically, ‘stylish.db’ is a database provided by a chrome plugin. Here’s an example script, stylish.view, which displays the contents of that. It contains a comment saying which database it’s a query on, together with the query.
SELECT style, code, GROUP_CONCAT(section_meta.value) as 'website(s)' FROM
(SELECT styles.name AS style,
sections.code AS code,sections.id AS sections_id
FROM styles INNER JOIN sections ON sections.style_id = styles.id)
LEFT JOIN section_meta
ON section_meta.section_id = sections_id
GROUP BY style;
The cool part here is that none of this was specific to stylish. I can quickly throw together a .view file for any database and put it on the web. Continue reading
I added an IRC server to my growing list of services. You can access it at:
Or via the webchat, which I recommend.
I’ve also recently updated my home page to look much prettier, in imitation of a Computer Craft cheatsheet I’ve been working on.
Compared with last update, the Dead Tree Publishing website is looking nicer.
It’s served over HTTPS now (not needed for security, but it puts people at ease and enabled Chrome’s autocomplete) and you can order multiple books at a time.
Other than some more visual improvements, the main thing missing is proper detection of page size — my server doesn’t understand about page margins, so it things books are bigger than they really are.
Last post I discussed the publishing website I’m working on.
Today I added credit card processing and address forms–it’s functionally complete and available at https://publishing.za3k.com
Next up I have to clean the site up, because it looks like this:
I’ll also add HTTPS.
I started work on my publishing website again (Dead Tree Publishing). The idea is to make a really, really convenient way to get a physical copy of a PDF/epub book. Think: “send me a printed copy of this mailing list / tumblr”. Right now things are looking encouraging.
I use a “back end” publisher who does all the actual printing, and the one I was using before charged quite a lot and wasn’t amazingly fast; I just used them because they were the only publisher who was at all up to date. Seriously, order of $100 – $200 for a 100 page book, just absolutely ridiculous levels of expensive. I’m switching over to a new publisher who can offer that same book for something like $7 (maybe $12 in hardback), which is absolutely reasonable, and with similar 2-week turnaround times.
First you upload a PDF:
Uploading a book
Then I tell you what your ordering options are (hardcover, softcover, color), and what they cost. I’m also supposed to ask you your address to ship the book, and for you to pay for it, but those aren’t done yet.
Hopefully in the next day or two I’ll have something up and running so people can order books, and then make it gradually nicer! I’m very excited about this website existing.
Today I added support for development of za3k.com using git:
env -i git pull
echo "Deployed za3k.com"
and markdown support, via a cgi markdown wrapper someone wrote for apache (yes, I’m still using Apache).
Edit: I ended up wanting support for tables in markdown, so I used Ruby‘s redcarpet markdown gem (the same thing Github uses, supports this style of tables as well as code blocks).
CGI support via http://blog.tonns.org/2013/10/enabling-markdown-on-your-apache.html