Hack-A-Day: Hack-A-Sound

It’s november, and I’ve decided this month that I’m going to do 30 projects in 30 days. It’s an all-month hack-a-thon!

Today’s project is Hack-A-Sound (demo, source). It’s a small soundboard.

You can:

  • Play 25 built-in samples
  • Record your own samples with your mic
  • Play samples directly, or record them on up to 4 tracks
  • Have tracks play one time only, or loop
  • Adjust the alignment of tracks
  • Use a keyboard or mouse
  • (Mobile not supported)

Have fun. I think this was a pretty good toy.

Hack-A-Day: Hack-A-Stats

It’s november, and I’ve decided this month that I’m going to do 30 projects in 30 days. It’s an all-month hack-a-thon!

Today’s project is Hack-A-Stats (demo, source). It displays web traffic statistics about Hack-A-Day.

The original point of the project was to show some nice graphs in d3, as an effort to teach myself d3. But halfway through I got unbearably bored by “show a bunch of stats” as a project, so no d3. Whoops! You win some you lose some.

Hack-A-Day: Hack-A-Line

It’s november, and I’ve decided this month that I’m going to do 30 projects in 30 days. It’s an all-month hack-a-thon!

Today’s project is Hack-A-Line (demo, source). Hack-A-Line is a 5-in-a-row game for two players. You play online against each other by sharing a link.

I’m okay with this one, except that there’s one really bad display bug that kind of ruins it. I’m starting to develop a list of projects where I might want to go back and fix something after this month.

I skipped yesterday because I needed a break.

Hack-A-Day: Hack-A-Tile

It’s november, and I’ve decided this month that I’m going to do 30 projects in 30 days. It’s an all-month hack-a-thon!

Today’s project is Hack-A-Tile (demo, source). It’s a tile-matching game like dominos.

Hack-A-Tile is based on mathematical Wang tiles. It was very tempting to call it Hack-A-Wang.

If I update it, I would

  • Zoom out as you go. I think that would look cool!
  • Animate shifting over. Right now adding tiles on the top or left is visually confusing.
  • Change the tiles. These are fun mathematically, but not ideal for a game
  • Either add a maximum size, or some constraint to stop you just making one long line.

Hack-A-Day: Hack-An-Icecube (failure)

It’s november, and I’ve decided this month that I’m going to do 30 projects in 30 days. It’s an all-month hack-a-thon!

Today’s project is Hack-An-Icecube (demo, source). It’s a failed attempt to make a game in Unity3D, the game engine/framework.

This is my first failure, which I think is good! I was getting bored only attempting things I could definitely succeed at in one day. That said, running out of time is fun. Wrestling the IDE isn’t. This was mostly wrestling the IDE, setting configs, and installing software.

I won’t continue this tomorrow, I’d rather do a new project each day (It’s called Hack-A-DAY)! But I might do another Unity3D project before the month is out.

The ice cubes load and fall, and that’s it. No controls, no game. I ran out of time.

This is an attempt to recreate One Hour Jam Cannon by juzek exactly. I ran out of time, but I made some progress getting Unity to work.